PROPOSAL REGARDING FUTURE RE-ENTRY INTO SOCIETY

Rejuvenation and anti-aging topics
Mike Anzis
Relationship with Alcor: Member

PROPOSAL REGARDING FUTURE RE-ENTRY INTO SOCIETY

Post by Mike Anzis » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:53 pm

As part of the mission of the cryonics movement, we are all working very hard to ensure that
1. Current and future cryonic suspensions are as high-quality as possible in order to provide the best possible conditions for re-animation, and
2. Alcor and other cryonics organizations are as stable and sustainable as possible to be able to care for patients over the time span until re-animation is possible, and to be in a position to carry out those re-animations.
What seems not to have been given as much attention is the process of re-entry of patients into whatever society and environment exists at the time of reanimation.

We can predict very little about what the world will look like when human reanimation is possible, particularly because it is so difficult to predict when that will be. We can assume, however, that the world will be quite different from ours. Even if the most optimistic predictions for reanimation, like within 100 years, are true, look at how someone from 1912 might feel suddenly transported to today. “What’s health insurance, Wal-Mart, the Internet, email, birth control, a television, jet plane, nuclear weapon, cell phone, computer, freeway”, etc.? Or imagine the same with someone from 200 or 500 years ago. And then consider how today’s accelerating rate of change is multiplying that uncertainty about the future.

In the world we re-enter, we will be childlike again, learning how to cope, survive, and thrive. This may also be the case physically in that there may be a long period of physical reacclimation, building up of immunity, developing strength and coordination, etc., depending on how reanimation is accomplished (new cloned body, brain transplantation, etc.). As “children”, we will probably need the kind of long-term (months or years) care that “parents” give, allowing a child to learn and grow into the world.

It is natural to imagine (as I often do) a wonderful, blissful new world, full of benevolence and joy, where numerous caretakers gently and attentively usher us back to life, with unwavering dedication and whatever time and resources it takes. We can read sci-fi accounts that range all the way from this “heaven on earth”, to “Here are fifty bucks and a suit of clothes. Bye. Good luck.” And even scarier depictions of being re-animated into slavery, or as a freak show, or as a rat-in-a-cage scientific experiment. The reality could be any one of these. And if you’re stuck with the heaven-on-earth scenario, think about how it would be if you were re-animated into a dystopia like the Soviet Union, North Korea, or Iran. To a large extent we take this risk when we sign-up.

I believe, however, that Alcor’s mission, and the mission of cryonics in general, should be more than just reanimation. I assume that we as cryonicists, want to be reanimated into a life that is as happy and satisfying, with as much joy and fulfillment as possible, and at least not full of pain and suffering. Therefore, I believe Alcor’s mission should also include striving to provide the conditions for the kind of re-entry into life that aligns with these goals, much as parents try to do with children.

So I make the following modest proposals for the purpose of further discussion and consideration, and with my personal commitment to work for these in whatever ways I can (rather than saying “Someone else do it”). I propose that

• Alcor adopt, as part of its mission, a goal of assuring and providing the conditions necessary for reanimated patients to be physically nurtured as necessary, and coached and trained to reenter society, with as much opportunity as possible to pursue lives of health, happiness, satisfaction, and fulfillment, according to what each patient may wish
• Alcor implement a “buddy system” program, whereby reanimated patients are assigned a buddy whose responsibility it is to nurture, train, and teach them to live successfully and thrive in their new environment, and that Alcor commit to facilitating the matching and monitoring of buddies at the appropriate time.
One way to implement this may to specify, as a condition of suspension membership, that new members agree to buddy with another member reanimated after they are. Or, such an agreement could result in reduced fees to those signing up to be a buddy. (Issues regarding current members, as well as the first reanimations, etc., will have to be addressed.)
• Alcor facilitate members storing memories (photos, recordings, documents, etc.) digitally in sustainable media capable of being recaptured after reanimation. This could involve Alcor researching and recommending the current best alternatives, or actually providing the service through a subcontract, etc. (This could be a money-maker.)

I welcome and want to encourage your feedback on these ideas. Leave a comment on the Member Forum blog, contact me via email at mikeanzis@cox.net, or call or text me at (949) 533-3187 with your thoughts and reactions to this proposal.

Yours for long, happy, fulfilling life,

Mike Anzis
Alcor member no. A-1067

Ksy

Re: PROPOSAL REGARDING FUTURE RE-ENTRY INTO SOCIETY

Post by Ksy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:33 pm

I very much agree that these are important issues, and with your proposals.

I also want to suggest a couple of ideas in this respect. I think that we should leave written records of what concerns and wishes we may have regarding our reanimation. I know that many of us often do so when we sign up, but I can't remember if Alcor actually systematically suggests that we do? In any case I think that it would be a good idea to have something in put place for members to have easy access to these records, and be able to modify/update them online without having to trouble Alcor's staff. And if such a thing is put in place, perhaps we should have a thread on the forums where we can share some of these concerns with others, to help one another formulate them, think of issues that we may not have thought of already with respect to reanimation and reinsertion into society, like Mike did in the proposal that he shared with us.

Also, beyond addressing specific concerns and wishes in these records, I think that we should also provide future reanimation teams with information regarding who we are as individuals, what our hopes, fears, and values are. As Mike points out, we cannot be sure what technologies will become available when. Some of us specify things like "if my spouse's reanimation requires more advanced techniques than mine, don't wake me up until he/she is", or specify their wishes with respect to uploading, etc... However as Mike points out, reality has a way of being way more creative than our feeble imaginations, and even if our hopes come true and we get reanimated by benevolent individuals, we cannot possibly think of every ethical dilemma reanimation teams may find themselves confronted with. Leaving some writings addressed to them in which we share who we are would help them make such decisions, and increase the chance that they come to make the same decision that we would if we could, regarding under what circumstances/when we wish to be reanimated.

Mike Anzis

Post by Mike Anzis » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:25 am

I asked Diane Cremeens about instructions to Alcor for future revival, and she provided me with a "Revival Statement Sample" in which a member can specify conditions of their revival. I'm sure she can provide it to anyone who asks. I'm working on mine, and I'll be glad to share my provisions once I've thought through and documented them.

Also, I have been tasked by Max Moore to undertake a project to research and report on services that provide cloud storage of digitized personal information (e.g. photos, videos, documents, etc.). I'm hoping that this can lead to Alcor providing this information to members, and possibly facilitating the use of such services. I will be reporting regularly to Max and to the Board on my progress. If anyone interested in assisting or providing information in this regard, please contact me at mikeanzis@cox.net.

TDK

Post by TDK » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Another issue relating to a patient's wishes and memories,
is the possibility that rather than a biological construct, we might
be restored as a digital construct. The people in the future might
need to "fill in the gaps" in someone's memory, or personality,
due to possible biological degradation.

So having photos, writings, and explanations of who you were,
what your personality was like, might help some future programmer
create the digital "you" based on brain scans, and using your
writings and photos to fill in gaps in memory, etc. Imagine
the benefit of having a recording of the person you are
restoring, so you can see their speech patterns,
mannerisms, body type, etc.

But one of the problems with this, is that media evolves.
If someone put down their memories on a phonograph
from the 1900's, it would be hard to find a machine
to play that record back today. Or if you recorded your
goals and dreams on Betamax videotape, it would already
be hard to find a machine to play that tape back. Each new
generation of media makes the old ones less and less valid.

The nice thing about digital media, is that the raw formats of
the files might remain the same, even if the storage media changes.
So rather than storing a bunch of photos on a data CD, maybe
Alcor could utilize a digital storage service, that would
continue to update their storage hardware, but the content
would remain intact into the future. It would take very little
effort to convert a bunch of jpg images into some other
format, if the core image format shifts at some point.
If people's .doc files or .txt files become outdated,
it would not be too hard to copy the information
into a new format once those old ones phase out.

But having this be an ongoing process would be
a lot more reliable than hoping that someone accesses
your storage box, and if they do, that the files and photos
within are intact, current, and functional.

chriscorte

Post by chriscorte » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:54 pm

I've often thought about how we would live after rejuvenation, too. One scenario I've imagined is that small(ish) groups of like-minded people would make an effort to get to know each other now, during this lifetime, then better be able to support each other in the future.

In the future, I wouldn't want to go through reintegration into society alone. Surely we'd need support and coaching from someone familiar with the culture of the time, but others, who've gotten to know now, could certainly make the transition easier. I for one, would love to explore a new culture with a few people who understood me. The transition would be far easier, don't you think?

The problem is that so few of us know each other. Or maybe that's just my problem, I'm new and still only an associate member. But I went to the Southern California Cryofeast and my impression was that most of those people knew each other well either. I'd be interested to know how close members are.