deleted

All topics about cryopreservation costs, membership dues, etc.
Merkle
Relationship with Alcor: Member since 1989. Board member since May 21, 1998.

Re: grants

Post by Merkle » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:10 pm

While we could try to have a "secret" forum with hundreds of Alcor members, this is unlikely to work all that well. Secrets, by their nature, can only be shared with a very few people before they cease to be secret.

On the other hand, it seemed necessary to provide a "member's only" forum which only Alcor members could read. While it certainly won't be all that secret, it's less public than posting to the entire internet.

The value of the Alcor Forum goes beyond being a place where Alcor members can exchange views -- it's also a place where anyone interested in cryonics can find out what Alcor members think about cryonics, about Alcor, about the medicine, about politics, about life, about anything and everything. It's a place that can educate prospective members, friends, relatives, the public, the press, and the whole world about who we are.

Perhaps the biggest argument against a "member's only" forum is that worthwhile contributors wouldn't be able to post. But any worthwhile contributor who has an Alcor member as a friend need only persuade the friend (or have the friend persuade them) and their words will be posted. As long as the rest of the Alcor community thinks the words are worthwhile, the poster will be encouraged to pass along the words of the worthwhile contributor and we'll hear more.

AlanBrooks
Relationship with Alcor: Member

deleted

Post by AlanBrooks » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:03 pm

deleted
Last edited by AlanBrooks on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

awb

Post by awb » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:05 am

Admin wrote:The Forum policies are set by all Website Working Group members and we are currently discussing this issue. That is why we would like more Alcor members to weigh in on the desirability of a complete non-public forum.
Although I am a very new Alcor member, I am not new to the world of forums and taking things out of context. I current work in the theatre industry and there was an interesting case of a play that used quotes out of context. The play of course being Spider Man and the mis-use went something like this:

New York Post wrote:
"Dazzling at times and disappointing at others, this giant superhero production is still a tangled web"

Spiderman quoted:
"Dazzling"

Anything can be mis-used. For example, I could take this sentence from the forum and ignore the context in which it was used: "evidence of how stupid or dishonest Alcor is"

I could also take this from the Alcor website:
"Cryonics as practiced by Alcor is...an interment method or mortuary practice."

Elipses are very misleading...

That being said, I do not know of one single company in this world that has not ever once made a mistake. I know this and would explain how, but not publicly. I think that the forums should stay open to the public for the scientific posts: cell repair technologies, cryobiology, rejuvination and stabilization. I believe Alan is 100% correct in assuming that non-members will not be looking at this forum in the first place. The entire forum should be open to Alcor members. I like being able to contribute since I have no other means of speaking to other cryonicists. If there is something that Staff/Board feels is not for members to read, then send a private message, email, phone call, etc.

I have been a member for only one month, but I am pro-active. I believe that the more Alcor resources there are for members, the better the members feel about Alcor taking an interest in them. And every little bit helps to attract new members. If I lived in AZ I would apply to the MCD position myself because I feel that those types of staff-member interactions are important. But in the meantime, this forum is a good start. Please keep it open to members, and in terms of what to post publicly, common sense is key. If you need to think twice about whether to post something or not, that is your gut telling you 'don't do it'

Thanks
Alessandra

AlanBrooks

deleted

Post by AlanBrooks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:35 pm

deleted
Last edited by AlanBrooks on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlanBrooks

Post by AlanBrooks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:03 pm

"I like being able to contribute since I have no other means of speaking to other cryonicists."

This is a separate reply because it doesn't concern the original topic of grants.
There is another way to contact members other than via this Forum: the Alcor Directory, which contains the emails and phone numbers of scores of Alcor members not only in America but in a few other nations as well. All you have to do is call Alcor to obtain the Directory.
Last edited by AlanBrooks on Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve.Bridge
Relationship with Alcor: Former Alcor President 1993-1997
Current Co-Manager of Cryonics Property LLC
Advisor to Alcor Board of Directors
Advisor to Alcor Patient Care Trust

Post by Steve.Bridge » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:03 pm

I am torn on the subject of whether to just have a private part of the Forum or to make all posts private. I have always inclined toward openness; yet there are some people who misuse openness. I think right now I would say that most should be open and we also have a private area. Unless I get burned a couple of times.

Steve Bridge
Steve Bridge

AlanBrooks

deleted

Post by AlanBrooks » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:43 pm

deleted
Last edited by AlanBrooks on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve.Bridge
Relationship with Alcor: Former Alcor President 1993-1997
Current Co-Manager of Cryonics Property LLC
Advisor to Alcor Board of Directors
Advisor to Alcor Patient Care Trust

Post by Steve.Bridge » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:10 pm

I have begun a new thread on the original question. Please see "Back to Grants".

Steve Bridge
Steve Bridge